Saturday, May 21, 2011

Veronica Mars & Game of Thrones

Based on recommendations from 3 people we hold in high regard (Kristen, Jake & Angela), Drew & I started watching "Veronica Mars."  We were both hooked instantly and blew through the first 2 seasons in about a week.  The writing is witty, the mysteries/detectiving is great, and the characters are well developed.  Also, I kinda got to live out my PI dream-job fantasy while watching it.  We begun the third (and final) season with equally high hopes, but were pretty disappointed.  There are a few problems with it.  One, Veronica goes off to college and the vibe just isn't the same; two, they switched from the season-long mystery to mini-mysteries which just didn't work as well; and, finally, it ended so abruptly that we were left hanging on almost all story lines.  I would highly recommend the first two seasons if you're into teen lit & would enjoy watching a high school private detective.  Plus, it's on Netflix Instant so it's an easy commitment.  But you could probably just skip the third season altogether.

Based on another recommendation from a person held in high esteem (Janine), Drew & I next started watching "Game of Thrones" - the new show on HBO.  I think there have only been 5 episodes so far & we've seen them all.  Drew is really into it and knows exactly what's going on.  I think that I like it, but I'm a little lost with all the families, reigns, etc.  Drew gets a little annoyed that I have to ask him "What's going on?" or "Who is that?" every five seconds.  We're definitely going to stick with it and hopefully I'll catch on soon.

In other news, I was driving the other day and got caught in my first huge Guam downpour.  It only lasted for about 15 minutes (really, just until I drove out of it).  But the rain was coming in horizontally and at such a rate that it had me wishing I had just one speed higher on my windshield wipers.  I think it was the only time that I've been glad the speed limit on the whole island is 35 mph.

Drew & I got two new bedside lamps for our room this weekend.  They are just lovely and we're both really happy with them.  We also went out to a fancy Italian dinner last night at Al Dente at the Hyatt.  Two of Drew's friends had given us a gift certificate for a wedding gift and we had a fabulous dinner complete with the dessert sampler.  Tasty!  Thanks Siiri & James!


Hope everyone is having a great weekend!  Love from Guam!

No comments:

Post a Comment