Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Unexploded Ordinance

So, today (Thursday) Drew got to come home for a few hours in the middle of the day because they had to evacuate his building on base because they discovered unexploded ordinance.  When he called to tell me he was coming home, I was shocked that there would be unexploded ordinance on base, and under a bank at that.  His nonchalant response was "Yeah, it happens all the time around here."  And that reminded me about the last time he told me about unexploded ordinance discovered on Island - under a gas station!!

Also, just this week I heard a story about a little boy who went to Asan Park for a school field trip.  It's a big, popular park right on the beach, which is actually where the Marines stormed the island in WWII.  The kids on the field trip are just putzing around the park as kids do and apparently this boy discovers a hand grenade just chillin' in the park.  As any responsible student would, he goes to ask his teacher if he can keep it.  Her response, "Sure."  Sure, kid, take home that hand grenade.  Kid gets home, shows the grenade to his shocked mother who then calls Navy EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal).  EOD comes to check out the grenade & discovers that it is live and unexploded!  Real sweet souvenir for an elementary school kid.  EOD took it & detonated it and I like to think they brought back the shell or any remaining pieces for the kid to keep as a souvenir, but I'm not sure that happened.  Only on Guam or as I say "Ooogh."

1 comment: