Sunday, February 5, 2012

Surprise Drew Time

Drew was supposed to be in "training" all last week in San Diego finishing up any of the administrative stuff he hadn't done yet & needed to get done before deploying.  Fortunately, though, he had a really small class of people and had gotten almost everything done before arriving in San Diego so he had some free time at the end of the week.  Since he was done with everything they let me come down for Thursday & Friday night to hang out with my hubby.  It was such an unexpected treat to be able to spend more time together!

I got back down to San Diego late Thursday evening and we went out for a tasty dinner in the downtown area.  On Friday we had such a wonderful time exploring San Diego.  I would be okay with it now if we ended up there - it's a beautiful city with so many neat little neighborhoods.  We went over to Coronado in the morning and walked along the beach and the cute little main street.  We had a fabulous Mexican lunch complete with margaritas in the middle of the day - woo hoo!  Then we went to the USS Midway Museum.  It is incredible.  I had never been on a carrier and it was so fun to learn all about it, especially since a lot of things are similar to what Drew experienced when he was out on the ARG at the beginning of last year.  Also, since I have a strange obsession with little nooks & hideaways, looking at the where the sailors ate, slept & hung out was so fun for me.  Drew thought I took a little too long on that part of the tour, but I wanted to read absolutely everything.  

Amazing lunch!  I highly recommend Miguel's Cocina in Coronado.

Audio tour aboard the USS Midway

View from the island of the USS Midway


What happens when a JAG ends up in the brig??
I am so happy that we got those few extra days together.  It was perfect.  Also, I got to drive Drew to the airport & got a pass through security so I could hang out with him until he boarded his flight.  That is such a nice thing the airlines & TSA do for deploying families.  Hopefully I can go through again when he gets back to meet his plane at the gate - I'll just focus on that & hope the months fly by!

No comments:

Post a Comment