Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happiness

I heard at church this past week about a study that says our happiness is dependent more on our remembered events/remembering self than on actual events or our experiencing self.  I was so curious that I had to find out more about it.  The man who came up with this idea is Daniel Kahneman - a Nobel laureate, the founder of behavioral economics, and regarded as one of the most influential living psychologists.  He is the business of the study of happiness - I think I would like that profession. 


The video is about 20 minutes long, but I think it's really worth listening to.  It is very profound to think about the fact that what we experience isn't really who we are, but it is how we interpret those experiences and translate them into our lives that actually matters for what we remember and think about ourselves/our lives.  So, the choice is ours.  How are we going to interpret our experiences, respond to our surroundings, and let them form our lives?  As Dr. Kahneman says, the important part of the story is how it ends.

Also, since I will only get this chance once every four years, I want to wish you all a very happy Leap Day!  I think that it's so cool that my blog will have a post dated February 29.  Naturally, I had to blog today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment