Wednesday, September 5, 2012

This Day & Age

I've been really bad at blogging lately.  I've definitely been thinking a lot about blogging, but that isn't exactly the same as actually blogging.  I had a goal to do at least a blog a week, but I've drastically failed at that goal.  Oh well, there's always time to start over again.

I haven't written much on here about the challenges of Drew's deployment.  I didn't really want to get myself down or anyone else, but I think it's important to remember just how much all of the military spouses and families sacrifice too.  Living in this day & age, people say we've had it a lot easier than soldiers and families in prior wars.  I get to Skype with Drew almost every day, the mail works pretty regularly, even though I have yet to see if any letters can arrive from Afghanistan but I think that has more to do with Drew's lack of writing than the mail system, and we are bombarded with news about the war.  I am very lucky that Drew is not directly involved in combat situations because I don't actively worry about him everyday.  I trust that he is in God's hands.  But, there have been a few times when I didn't hear from Drew for a few days and I began to get worried.  So I scoured the Afghanistan news websites to see if there was any bad news from Drew's district.  Thankfully, there wasn't.

But I got to thinking...if I lived in a time when there was not accessible internet or Skype, and I only heard from Drew every few weeks by letter, I wouldn't really know when to be worried.  Maybe I'd be worried all of the time or maybe I would just live my life the best I can over here because I wouldn't have the luxury of rushing to the Internet to look for the latest news.  It would just be normal if I didn't hear from him for a few weeks at a time.  Maybe my arms wouldn't ache so much from wanting to reach out and touch him as I look at him on my computer screen.  Maybe I wouldn't feel quite as lonely after I say goodnight to him but roll over to an empty bed because I would have gotten used to being on my own.  I'm not saying it would be easier to go back to the old days because I don't know if it would.  And I wouldn't trade being able to Skype with Drew for anything.  But, it's hard.  It's hard trying to live your life everyday with half of your heart on the other side of the world.  I just think it's hard no matter what, though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment