Monday, October 3, 2011

Only on Guam

There is this saying here - "Only on Guam."  Most people just shorten it to "o-o-g" or, in my case, "Oog."  It refers to a situation or happening that is completely unbelievable or shocking, but, strangely, makes sense since we are on Guam.  I had an "Oog" moment on my way home from the gym today.  It was nice & sunny over by the base, but I hit a torrential downpour on my way home.  And in the midst of this tropical storm, I looked over and saw a man power-washing the sidewalk.  He was using a hose to wash the sidewalks in the middle of a rainstorm!  All I could think to myself was "only on Guam."

Over the weekend, I volunteered at the first annual Guam International Film Festival.  It was a huge hit and I had a really great time getting to know the other volunteers & helping to showcase some of Guam's local talent.  Drew & I even got to catch a few of the screenings, which was fun.  We saw a documentary about the band Fishbone & saw a really neat movie from Taiwan called "Night Market Hero."  Also, I am somewhat of a local celebrity now because my picture was in the Pacific Daily News - the local newspaper.  Here's the shot & a link to the article in case you're interested:  I'm famous!

I'm the one in the background with the hot pink shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment