Thursday, May 16, 2013

Gardening

For the first time ever, I'm trying my hand at gardening.  I don't think my hand has a green thumb, though, so we'll see how this turns out.  I'm attempting a container garden, which includes thyme, basil, cherry tomatoes, and marigolds.  This afternoon I planted the three herbs.  I still have to purchase the marigold plant because last time I went to the nursery they still weren't stocking them due to the cold temperatures.  I got the inspiration for this particular assortment of plants from HGTV magazine, which I have a subscription to thanks to my wonderful sister-in-law, Maggie.

Hopefully my little garden will bloom and thrive.  I'll keep you updated on its progress...and with pictures, if there's anything to see.

The only plants I have ever had, unfortunately, I killed.  I usually kill them with too much love and nourishment by overwatering them.  As in friendships, plants too need a little room to grow.  But they do also need the care and attention to make sure their needs are met.  I know I'm far from the first one to analogize gardening to relationships, but I was struck by this concept as I was talking to my little plants outside.  They do need me, but they also just need time to grow on their own.  I will strive to remember that as I (hopefully) watch my garden grow, but I will also try to remember that as I watch my friends, family, and all of those around me grow.  They need me, but they also need space to bloom.  

"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."  Proverbs 27:17

No comments:

Post a Comment